Bachelor of Science (Health, Safety and Environment) (Top-up)
|Location||Curtin Singapore campus|
|Intake||February, July, November|
|Duration||32 months (8 trimesters)|
Specialise in identifying and managing workplace risks to ensure a safe and healthy work environment.
This course prepares you for a diverse career in the expanding area of occupational health and safety. You will learn how to create, maintain and manage a safe and healthy workplace, and develop professional skills in critical thinking, information literacy and technology. You’ll learn how to identify and manage risks and hazards, participate effectively in decision-making processes and improve health and safety to prevent injuries and illness in the workplace.
You will complete a 100-hour placement in your second academic year and a 150-hour placement in your third academic year.
What you’ll learn
- Apply and integrate knowledge and practice of environmental and occupational health to enhance the safety and well-being of populations
- Apply logical and rational processes to critically analyse issues relevant to Environmental and Occupational Health and think creatively in the generation of solutions to problems
- Access, evaluate and synthesise relevant information and evidence from the range of resources applicable to practice
- Communicate effectively with a range of people including community groups, workers, employers, statutory authorities and their representatives and other professionals
- Use scientific methods and technologies with an understanding of their advantages and limitations
- Demonstrate ability for self-directed and lifelong learning through self-accepted responsibility
- Recognise and apply international standards and perspectives within environmental and occupational settings
- Demonstrate an appreciation of cultural diversity including the impact of cultural and social factors
- Demonstrate professionalism and capacity for leadership and be able to work independently, collaboratively and ethically
- Diploma in Health, Science or Engineering from a local polytechnic or other recognised institution.
- Graduates of WSQ Specialist Diploma in Workplace Safety & Health may be eligible for credit exemptions.
- Other diploma level qualifications are assessed on an individual basis.
Minimum English language entry requirements
|IELTS Academic (International English Language Testing System)|
|Overall band score||6.5|
Depending on your qualifications, you may not need to provide proof of English proficiency. Please contact us for more information.
|Total tuition fee||S$25,600|
|Payable over eight trimester instalments|
All fees are inclusive of 7% GST. Fees listed are indicative and subject to annual increases.
- Accepted as a Workplace Safety and Health (WSH)-related qualification recognised by the Singapore Ministry of Manpower (MOM) in one of the requirements in applying to be a Workplace Safety and Health Officer (WSHO)
- Accredited in Australia by?the??Australian Occupational Health and Safety Education Accreditation Board?(Safety Institute of Australia).
- Internationally accredited by the?Institute of Occupational Safety and Health?(IOSH) (UK).
Upon graduating, you can apply for membership to:
Common duties of a Health and Safety Officer:
- Identify hazards and associated risks, and implement control measures.
- Report and investigate incidents and injuries.
- Provide advice, information and instruction on occupational health and safety issues.
- Develop injury and incident prevention strategies.
- Assist with rehabilitation of injured workers.
- Monitor compliances with occupational health and safety policy and procedures.
- Conduct safety and health trainings.
- Promote safety and health within the enterprise.
Applicants with related work experience or with a WSQ Specialist Diploma in Workplace Safety & Health may be eligible for Credit for Recognised Learning (credit for unit exemptions) and you are encouraged to contact Curtin Singapore for further information.
Credits needed to graduate: 400.
Each unit is 25 credits unless stated otherwise.